Monday, June 25, 2012

All I Need

This week is VBS for our church and the Mr & I were asked to lead the missions part for the youth.  This task is not as easy as it seems.  We are to come up with ideas for the youth to be involved in some way or another with someone else's life... to sum it up... but to do it from the space of the youth room.  This leaves us with writing cards, drawing things, etc.  I have been praying about ways for God to use our limited time to impact the lives of these children- not just the youth but every child who enters the doors of the church for VBS.  Last night was incredible for me... and it's not because it was all happiness and flowers.  Working with the youth can be daunting because they are at an age where they are trying to figure out life and make friends and fit in.  Last night I met one kid (i say kid but he is going into high school next year) and I was touched by his story, what little he shared with me.  It got me thinking that there are so many people who we meet everyday that we think we have pinned a certain way because of how they look on the outside.  I remember learning in 2nd grade that we "Don't Judge a Book by It's Cover" and although it didn't really make sense to me at the time, it began making more sense as I got older.  A lesson my friend at VBS learned last night...
I was humbled that God would use me for such a small lesson last night with just one person.  Then this morning I was answering the call of civic duty, jury duty.  We gather in one court room for people to look at us, hear what we do and decide if we are good enough to sit before them for a court case.  There were 10 rows of people and not one of us was alike.  One man asked me how I was doing, to which I responded "I'm fabulous, thanks. How are you?" And he said "You can't be fabulous.. you are in jury duty."  I just felt like God had called me to be there that day... I nicely told that man I could be in places a lot worse than where I was and I have to many blessings not to be fabulous.  But as I sat in that room, I began to hear about people in my community.  Their names, their jobs, if they had a spouse and what their spouse did for a living... as many know from being called to jury duty.  So many of us were "unemployed" and my heart broke for a man who said he was unemployed and his wife was a stay at home mom... which meant they had children.  My how we take for granted every little penny we receive at times for our own materialistic needs and desires.  I pray that this gentleman will get a job and be able to take care of his family like I'm sure he wants to.  One thing I've learned, after having a baby, is that men have such a strong desire to lead their families and want to provide but it is so easy for them to get discouraged from one bad comment or an interview with no call back.  Today just went completely opposite of what I anticipated and for that I am thankful.  I have realized that when I stop worrying about my problems, like I always do, I am able to be focused on where God is leading and what God is doing.  When I focus on just HIS will I can truly be the servant he wants me to be... He is all I need. I am so thankful to have a husband who loves me and tells me every day, a baby who is sooo stinking precious I could just eat her up, a church family that prays for me and with me and allows me to serve in the ways that I can and I am thankful for the people I meet along the way...  they all make this possible, the realization that I am always in need of my Savior's love.  I know this was random but I just wanted to share.  I should have new pictures of Miss O soon!! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment