Wednesday, June 13, 2012

When I was a kid

It is really interesting for me to think about all the things I experienced growing up that Miss O will never know or experience [unless we inform her of these things]. I know things change and there are things my mom experienced that I did not experience.  But I want to document a few things Hils & I have talked about.

Miss O will never experience:

- Payphones: there is a popular song right now is a song entitled Payphone by Maroon 5 i think...when was the last time you saw or used an actual payphone? I think for me it was middle school.

- 35mm film: taking your pictures to a film developer or sending them off [that is what we did in PR] and waiting a week or two for your pictures to come back. 

- Desktop computers: I remember our first computer- black backdrop and green colored font with a dot matrix printer that had paper you had to tear apart yourself.  I'm sure electronics will be more compact when Miss O grows up.  Can you remember when a computer took up an entire desk area?

- Floppy disks:  I remember floppy disks being on the school supply list.  I found an old one when looking through a box from my parent's house of my belongings.  Who knows what is on that disk... I wish I could open it and see! Now we use USB's for storage..

- Home phones (wired or wireless): My parents have always had a home phone and still do I think.  Since the Mr & I have been married we have never had a home phone because we both have cell phones. We have talked about getting a home phone but I think we decided against it... just another expense. You don't need a home phone to have an alarm system, cable or internet.

- VCR & tapes:  I have some videos on tape and home videos we made through my childhood.  I think there are still VCR's that are sold in stores.. but honestly, how much longer will they still sell those things??  I remember recording on tapes different shows I wanted to see but wasn't going to be home.  Now you can DVR or watch shows online if you missed them.

-Instant Messaging (any type of messaging on the computer):  Before cell phones and texting became the big thing, my friends and I would create chat rooms online and have AIM where we could leave status updates or away messages so our friends knew where we were. I mean... if you think about it, texting will soon be a thing of the past because everyone may have video chatting available on their cell phones soon enough... like face time on the iPhone.

-Movies that are NOT 3D.  I feel like every movie coming out now is coming out in 3D. I certainly hope this isn't the case but I feel like it will be.  Just to document.. a movie at Sandhills Regal Cinema in SC cost $10.  When I was in middle school I remember paying just $5.25 for a movie ticket.

- Video camera's that sit on your shoulder for home use.  We were fortunate to receive a camcorder for Christmas and it is about the size of my first Nokia cell phone (the one where you could change the keys and face plate).  When I was younger, we had video cameras that used tapes and were so bulky and big my mom had to rest it on her shoulder.  Instead of tapes or cds, my camcorder uses a small memory card... it is crazy!


That is all I can think of for now.  Feel free to add anything you think of and of course I will always think of things Miss O will never experience because of changes in our culture and society. XO

Oh the places you will go, my sweet girl.

2 comments:

  1. I dare say Olivia won't have or know how to balance A CHECK BOOK....do you have one?

    Olivia will probably not know marriage as we know it since it is changing daily.

    Perhaps a stamp or even snail mail.

    A little red RADIO FLYER wagon to go riding in (that was from papa)

    Reading a newspaper made out of paper since they are almost all online.

    Playing a CD because when you were little there were still records.

    A regular Television station on TV with an antenna

    organic POPCORN ...she'll probably only know Genetically Modified Organism

    Watching the space shuttle launch from Florida

    Witnessing a person walk on the moon.

    Driving an American Made SATURN car

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about TYPEWRITERS?!?! I remember mom's "electric" one she had to buy tape for and I thought it was SO stinkin cool.

    What about mops or brooms even? Rumba, just sayin...

    i'm thinkin a house or car without a/c or hot water or electricity at time (vieques and the shower in a bag- haha)

    lol, i'm thinkin she's going to still know that stuff, come on visit Titi Kiki. lol

    love her

    ReplyDelete